Monday 4 June 2007

where are all the garbage cans?

If you spend any amount of time in London you will quickly realize that there aren't that many garbage cans around the city.

Living here you often find yourself carrying empty coffee cups, soda cans and bags for blocks just trying to find somewhere to throw them out.

So where have all the garbage cans gone?

They have been removed a friend informed me.

But why in a city of almost 9 million would you remove the garbage cans? Why do I have to carry my garbage for so long that I finally get frustrated enough to simply leave it on the curb?

Because of terrorism, my friend told me.

The attacks of 2005 devastated the city and showcased how vulnerable the metropolitan is.

And while London is not new to acts of violence towards it. The city underwent horrific bombardments at the hands of the Nazi's during WWII and was terrorized by the IRA's fight for independence during the 70's. It has needed to adapt to protect it self.

In one of the most recent attempts the government has removed a large majority of garbage cans throughout the city. Including all of them from the Underground and most major areas.

The cans are far too susceptible to having explosives placed in them.

So as it turns out besides the obvious reasons that I hate terrorism I now can add the fact that they make me litter.

Jackasses.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder if the same logic applies to not having dustbins at Mumbai's Marine Drive, popularly known as the Queen's necklace.

Mary said...

I would really request to all of them who are interested in keeping mumbai clean to carry a small plastic bag or whtever they want to keep there garbage .....


Its not always government fault as you can see from the London Blogs we help government to keep Mumbai clean.........its the the place where we live where our children breath let them breath in good air.....

We can do this small thing to make our childern grow in beautiful enviroment

Please please please carry bag ....don't throw garbage on street......
STOP others from throwing garbage on tracks or streets